E911 Addressing

The Rutherford County Addressing Department is responsible for assigning new house numbers county wide and ordering road signs outside of city limits. Sign installation is managed by part time Maintenance Department Staff who work every Wednesday.

Phone numbers for Offices:

Addressing Office:  828-288-4501  
GIS and Data Requests:  828-287-6136
Building Inspections:  828-287-6035
Forest City Building Inspections:  828-247-4426
Revenue Dept / Tax Office:  828-287-6000
Environmental Health Services:  828-287-6317
Public Works and Planning:  828-288-4501

How do I obtain an address?
Rutherford County does not address vacant lots or land. When you are within 90 days of adding a structure (or any water and power hookup) you must first obtain a building pre-permit from either the Revenue Department or the Addressing/GIS Department. You must be able to cleary show where the proposed driveway will be located. Driveway location determines your E911 address number. Without that accurate location point we cannot assign you a number.

How do I obtain a building pre-permit?

For single wides and double wides you must first obtain a mobile home pre-permit from the Listing office in the Revenue (Tax) Department, located in the back of the court house in Rutherfordton. This pre-permit is the 1st step in order to obtain a moving permit (if needed) and an E911 address.
For Modulars and all other structures you can obtain a pre-permit at either of the two locations listed below:
Revenue Department - 125 W 3rd Street, Rutherfordton, NC 28139
Monday - Friday, 8:30am to 5pm, excluding holidays.
E911 Addressing / GIS Department - 272 N. Toms Street, Rutherfordton, NC 28139
Monday – Thursday 7am – 4pm, (4pm – 5pm by phone and appointment only)
Friday – 7am – 12pm, (12pm – 5pm by phone and appointment only)

Be prepared to provide the following information:

  • property owner's name
  • property location
  • power supplier
  • current mailing address
  • current phone number
  • for mobile homes - year (make if known)
  • for mobile homes - size
  • for mobile homes vin #
  • for mobile homes - if used receipt of taxes paid if being brought in from out of county
  • for mobile homes - if used previous owners name

There is no charge to obtain a pre-permit.

Once you have a map, tax identification number (REID), and the pre-permit application form you can then go to the Environmental Services Office to get a septic permit. With a copy of the pre permit application form, your septic permit, and your zoning permit (if needed) you are now ready to go to the Building Inspector’s office to get the building permit. If you are building in Forest City or the Forest City ETJ you will get your building permit from the Town of Forest City Building and Zoning Department.
NOTE: If you are inside the city limits of Chimney Rock, Lake Lure, Rutherfordton, Spindale or Bostic you must obtain a zoning permit from the Zoning Department in the respective town before starting any of the above processes.

How will I be notified of my new address?
Most of the time you will get your address when you apply for a pre-permit. Addressing staff will notify you by phone when the address has been assigned if no one is available to give you a number at the time of your visit.

Where and how do I display my new E-911 address?
Postal regulations and county ordinance require your new address to be posted on your mailbox if you receive your mail at your home. The numbers need to be (4) four-inch numbers and displayed on each side of the mailbox. If there is more than one mailbox, please post the numbers on the door of the mailbox. The County requires you to display your address on the front of your structure if it is visible from the street. Display (4) four-inch numbers for a residence, or (6) six-inch numbers for a business. If your house is (75) seventy-five feet or greater from the roadway, please display a sign indicating the assigned number at the entrance to the driveway.

When does a private drive have to be named?
Once a third structure has been added to a single driveway, then the driveway must be named and re-addressed. This reduces the confusion for fire and rescue services. If a road has to be named, addressing staff will work with all landowners to use the name of their choice for a $100 fee. If after (30) thirty days, no agreement on a name has been made, the Addressing Department will assign a name to the road or drive. If the county assigns the road name there is no cost to the landowners.

What is the cost of naming a private road or drive?
The cost for naming a private road is $100. Each additional sign is $50 if more than one is needed for the same road. This is a one-time payment. The county replaces the sign if stolen and maintains the sign and pole if any damage occurs.

What do I do if the road sign is missing from the road I live on?
If the road you live on has a sign missing, please contact the Addressing Department at the numbers listed below. If the sign is located inside city limits, please contact the appropriate municipality. We will get the sign replaced as quickly as possible. In most cases the sign will have to be ordered. Please be patient, ordering and installing a new sign can take up to 2-4 months.