Firearm Purchase & Concealed Weapons Permits
Firearm Purchase Permits
There is no appointment necessary to apply for a Firearm Purchase Permit.
We offer an online Firearm Purchase Permit application process. Through this website, you may apply for a Firearm Purchase Permit online. The Release of Court Orders Concerning Mental Health & Capacity for Pistol Purchase Permit "Release" form must be filled out within 5 business days, notarized and brought to the Sheriff's Office before an application can be fully processed.
**In the event you fail to bring in the "Release Form" within 5 business days, your application will expire and you will need to re-apply.
Please fill out each blank on the online application as your drivers license reads, please do not use nick names or any abbreviation.
*There are notaries available at the Sheriff's Office that can help you at no charge. Please wait to sign this form until you get in front of a notary at the Sheriff's Office.
Below are links to all (4 pages) printable documents to apply for a Firearm Purchase Permit, please bring in all the highlighted pages below as well as valid North Carolina identification to the Rutherford County Sheriff's Office:
- Firearm Purchase Permit Application
- Please use name listed on driver's license, not nick names or any abbrevation, etc.
- Firearm Purchase Permit Release of Court Orders Concerning Mental Health & Capacity for Pistol Purchase Permit. Click here for the form Mental Health Release Form-this form must be returned to the Sheriff's Office within 5 business days
- Firearm Purchase Permit Supplemental Questions (** For legal resident aliens, there are supplemental questions that must also be answered) Also proof of citizenship is required.
- Attachments (aliases, addresses, exemption) Form
Concealed Weapons Permits
To qualify for a concealed handgun permit you must first complete a Concealed Handgun Permit class. After completion of this class you may apply for the permit here: https://rutherfordso.permitium.com/ccw/start
For additional help or questions with this process, call : 828-287-1206.
An appointment is necessary when applying for a NEW Concealed Weapon Permit,
contact Det. Shane Ruppe at: 828-287-1206
**As much as our office attempts to get all Concealed Weapon Permits back quickly, generally there is a 90 -working day time period or less to process and get New and/or Renewal Concealed Weapon Permits back.
Please plan accordingly when renewal date is approaching.
- New Permits - New Concealed Handgun Application Packet-New Concealed Application Packet
- Renewal Permits - Renewal Concealed Handgun Application Packet-Renewal Application Packet
- Please Note: There is no longer an appointment required for renewing a Concealed Weapon Permit
- A Change of address form is required for anyone holding a Concealed Weapon Permit in Rutherford County, NC and moves within Rutherford County, NC or moves out of the county, this form along with a copy of the permit and a valid NC drivers license (listing the new address) should be returned to the Rutherford County Sheriff's Office to process the change and/or request a duplicate permit.
- If you move from another county in NC, you must change your address in the county listed on your present permit before we can issue a duplicate permit.
- There is a $5.00 (CASH)charge to obtain a duplicate permit. PLEASE, DO NOT send cash through the mail for a duplicate permit, you must appear in person to request a duplicate.
NC Firearm Laws
Fingerprinting is done on a first come first serve basis on Tuesday and Thursday 1p.m.-3p.m., all Rutherford County residents will be fingerprinted at no charge, out of county residents will pay $10 cash.