Firearm Purchase & Concealed Weapons Permits
Firearm Purchase Permits
There is no appointment necessary to apply for a Firearm Purchase Permit.
We offer an online Firearm Purchase Permit application process. Through this website, you may apply for a Firearm Purchase Permit online. The Release of Court Orders Concerning Mental Health & Capacity for Pistol Purchase Permit "Release" form must be filled out, notarized and brought to the Sheriff's Office before an application can be fully processed. In the event you fail to bring in the "Release Form" in a timely manner, your application will expire.
*There are notaries available at the Sheriff's Office that can help you at no charge. Please wait to sign this form until you get in front of a notary at the Sheriff's Office.
Below are links to printable documents to apply for a Firearm Purchase Permit, you must bring in all pages as well as identification to the Rutherford County Sheriff's Office:
- Firearm Purchase Permit Application
- Firearm Purchase Permit Release of Court Orders Concerning Mental Health & Capacity for Pistol Purchase Permit. Click here for the form Mental Health Release Form-this form must be returned to the Sheriff's Office
- Firearm Purchase Permit Supplemental Questions (** For legal resident aliens, there are supplemental questions that must also be answered)
- Attachments (aliases, addresses, exemption) Form
Concealed Weapons Permits
To qualify for a concealed handgun permit you must first complete a Concealed Handgun Permit class. After completion of this class you may apply for the permit. New Concealed Handgun applications and fingerprint submissions are handled by APPOINTMENT ONLY, see below for phone number.
**As much as our office attempts to get all Concealed Weapon Permits back quickly, generally there is a 90 working day time period or less to process and get New or Renewal Concealed Weapon Permits back.
Please plan accordingly when renewal date is approaching.
- New Permits - New Concealed Handgun Application Packet
- Renewal Permits - Concealed Handgun Permit Renewal Application Packet -Renewal Packet
- Please Note: There is no longer an appointment required for renewing a Concealed Weapon Permit
- A Change of address form is required for anyone holding a Concealed Weapon Permit that moves within Rutherford County or moves out of the county, this form should be returned to the Rutherford County Sheriff's Office to process the change and/or request a duplicate permit. There is a $5.00 charge to obtain a duplicate permit.
NC Firearm Laws
To make a NEW Concealed Weapon Permit APPOINTMENT contact:
Detective Justin T. McCluney
Telephone Number : (828) 287-1206
Do you need fingerprints for a job or other reason? We do them free of charge, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 1-3p.m. this is a "walk in" basis and there may be a wait time.