Sheriff's Office Employment
Or the Detention Center: Detention Center Employment Flyer
Application for Rutherford County Sheriff’s Office, Detention and Reserve Division
- Application Packet - fill out this entire packet, except signatures on notary pages, wait to sign those 2 pages until you are in presence of notary
- Credit History-this can be from any free, online service
- Certified Criminal Record (Clerk of Court in every county of residence in the past 10 years other than Rutherford County) if out of state, you must obtain that through proper channels
- This Certified Criminal Record Must be Current (not over 30 days old)
- Must have Certified Record Check from County of the High School you attended if that is different from county of residence
- Certified Background checks must have all of your names (maiden/alias/nicknames,ETC.)
- High School Diploma or High School Transcript (Home School- See Sheriff's Office Administrative Asst.)
- Two or Four year Degree Certificate,if Applicable
- Valid NC Driver’s License
- Social Security Card
- Birth Certificate
- BLET Certificate if Applicable
- DD214 Form if you were in the military (Member 4 Copy)
- Brief Handwritten Paragraph explaining why you are seeking employment with this agency must be submitted with completed application.
You must list cell number or home phone number in addition to a work number
When listing references you must have a valid telephone number for each person.
Copies of all the above listed items must accompany the application when delivered to the Sheriff’s Office.
A Certified Criminal History report must be obtained from the Clerk of Court in each and every county the applicant has resided for the past 10 years.
A Credit History may be obtained from Equifax at 1-800-685-1111 or from Equifax.com on the internet or any other online credit service.
Copies of your license, social security card, birth certificate and high school diploma/transcript can be copied at the Sheriff’s Office when your application is submitted.
*A Notary Public is available at the Sheriff’s Office to notarize your application packet at no charge, if needed. Please, wait to sign all documents if you use Sheriff's Office notary.
Applications will be accepted Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 pm.
Return application in person or mail to:
Rutherford County Sheriff’s Office
198 N. Washington Street
Rutherfordton, NC 28139